Hillary Clinton continued to mislead Americans about late-term abortions this week when she attacked President Donald Trump for defending the unborn.
Trump slammed Democrats for supporting late-term abortions and infanticide during his State of the Union Address last week and again during a speech over the weekend. He urged Congress to pass a bill to ban late-term abortions and promised to sign it.
On Monday, Clinton responded by calling Trump a liar.
â€œOnly about 1% of abortions happen later in pregnancyâ€”almost always because a womanâ€™s health or life is at risk, or the pregnancy is no longer viable,â€� Clinton wrote on Twitter. â€œLying about this is dangerous, and a slap in the face to families who face heartbreaking situations.â€�
Only about 1% of abortions happen later in pregnancyâ€”almost always because a womanâ€™s health or life is at risk, or the pregnancy is no longer viable.
Lying about this is dangerous, and a slap in the face to families who face heartbreaking situations. https://t.co/732pfPXaxr
â€” Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) February 12, 2019
But Clinton is the one lying â€“ or at least misleading voters about the truth.
While it’s true that most abortions happen prior to viability, data suggests thousands of late-term unborn babies still are legally aborted in the U.S. each year. The Guttmacher Institute, a pro-abortion research group considered to have the most comprehensive abortion numbers, reported an estimated 926,200 abortions in 2014. Just 1 percent of that total means more than 9,000 potentially viable late-term unborn babies were aborted that year.
But where Clinton really went wrong was her claim that most women abort late-term unborn babies because of serious health problems. The truth is that many late-term abortions are elective.
Diana Greene Foster, a well-known pro-abortion researcher at the University of California San Francisco, wrote in 2013: â€œ… data suggest that most women seeking later terminations are not doing so for reasons of fetal anomaly or life endangerment. Indeed, we know very little about women who seek later abortions.â€�
HELP LIFENEWS SAVE BABIES FROM ABORTION! Please help LifeNews.com with a donation!
Ron Fitzsimmons, the former executive director of the National Coalition of Abortion Providers, made a startling admission about late-term abortions as well in 1997. He told the New York Times that he had lied to U.S. Congress when he said late-term abortions are rare. Fitzsimmons said late-term abortions are more common than abortion activists admit, and many are on healthy mothers carrying healthy unborn babies.
And late-term abortionist Martin Haskell, who is credited with inventing the partial-birth abortion procedure, said in a 1993 interview with American Medical News: â€œIâ€™ll be quite frank: most of my abortions are elective in that 20-24 week rangeâ€¦. In my particular case, probably 20% are for genetic reasons. And the other 80% are purely elective.â€�
Earlier this week, New York Magazine featured the story of an Oregon woman who aborted her unborn baby at 28 weeks of pregnancy even though they both were healthy.
Then, there was Clinton’s claim about women’s lives being at risk. Numerous OB-GYNs have pointed out that late-term abortions are not necessary to save women’s lives. In cases where the mother’s life is at risk, doctors induce labor or perform a cesarean section, and it is not necessary to kill the baby before doing so.
Dr. Lawrence Koning, an OB-GYN in Corona, California, previously explained the situation to Christian News Network.
â€œAs an OB/GYN physician for 31 years, there is no medical situation that requires aborting/killing the baby in the third trimester to â€˜save the motherâ€™s life,â€™â€� Koning said in 2016. â€œJust deliver the baby by C-section and the baby has 95+% survival with readily available NICU care even at 28 weeks. C-section is quicker and safer than partial birth abortion for the mother.â€�
Former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, also said abortion is not necessary to save lives.
Koop, a pediatric surgeon, said: â€œWhen a woman is pregnant, her obstetrician takes on the care of two patientsâ€”the mother-to-be and the unborn baby. If, toward the end of the pregnancy complications arise that threaten the motherâ€™s health, he will take the child by inducing labor or performing a Caesarian section. His intention is still to save the life of both the mother and the baby. The baby will be premature. The baby is never willfully destroyed because the motherâ€™s life is in danger.â€�
Sadly, the mainstream media often perpetuates abortion activistsâ€™ claims that womenâ€™s lives do not matter to the pro-life movement. They do. Pro-lifers want to save lives, including women and children. Both matter, and itâ€™s heartbreaking when medical emergencies cause a human life, born or unborn, to die.